Books, comics, RP games, the culture in particular?

What do you like about it?

Any books, movies, comics you like/would reccommend?

Personally, I like how it's mostly victorian type stuff, with gears and metal bits. Fashion-wise, it looks elegant, yet.......different. I'm getting into the genre a lot more lately.

Steampunk computer case mod

computationalengine4.jpg

Steampunk Office

Pocketwatch gadget thingies:

2253683777_330d886eca.jpg2254481698_902a94a6f1.jpg2254481040_f80376c5f4.jpg2254481946_ef27e0519a.jpg

Read a pretty good book in the genre called Whitechapel Gods.

Post good books, comics, etc here. Post any cool images, clothes, knicknacks, etc here. :p

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely LOVE the 'Steampunk' genre, it goes very well with my taste for 'shabby chic'!

I think I was Steampunk before the colloquialism was even coined.. :tongue:

Anyone who is into Steampunk things, go to http://etsy.com, and search the keyphrase, 'steampunk'-- lots of great jewelry, costume items, and art will come up.. :)

I've done the steampunk thing on occassion at city club over the years. Actually, I almost always have a pocket watch on me while I'm there...

I should put some of the books on my list, as I am sure I could get into them.

Edited by Burrich1

Jon has been getting into steampunk a lot lately. He's a regular on a steampunk message board that I believe HeadWreck recently joined. He had me deck out his Second Life character all steampunk, and he's building an airship on Sl as well.

He has taken a break from his woodworking and has been creating and selling a lot of Steampunk gadgets on eBay. We've created an offshoot of his River Otter Rustics woodworking business called River Otter Widgets. I still have to finish the logo I created for it. Here's a link to his AOL website with some of the stuff he's made and sold.

River Otter Widget Studios

The phone-looking light has a bulb inside that is activated by the button on the front of the box. It glows through the tube on top and has a bunch of different effects, from solid to strobe to a color wash.

The spider light sold for $58 on eBay. His 2nd one didn't do as well but we only put it up for a short auction and he didn't like it as much.

Right now, he's working on a mechanized welder ant. Just for show, it doesn't really work.

Jon has been getting into steampunk a lot lately. He's a regular on a steampunk message board that I believe HeadWreck recently joined. He had me deck out his Second Life character all steampunk, and he's building an airship on Sl as well.

He has taken a break from his woodworking and has been creating and selling a lot of Steampunk gadgets on eBay. We've created an offshoot of his River Otter Rustics woodworking business called River Otter Widgets. I still have to finish the logo I created for it. Here's a link to his AOL website with some of the stuff he's made and sold.

River Otter Widget Studios

The phone-looking light has a bulb inside that is activated by the button on the front of the box. It glows through the tube on top and has a bunch of different effects, from solid to strobe to a color wash.

The spider light sold for $58 on eBay. His 2nd one didn't do as well but we only put it up for a short auction and he didn't like it as much.

Right now, he's working on a mechanized welder ant. Just for show, it doesn't really work.

Cool stuff!

Wow...I will sound REALLY stupid and fashionably incorrect when I ask...

Wtf is steampunk? I'll have to look into this when I'm at home and not on dial-up (DGN is like the ONLY site I can go on at work, not even Myspace will load).

If anyone feels like posting fashion examples before 6:30, I'd be greatly interested because, well, I'm now greatly intrigued.

I love that pic of Lincoln.

Steampunk has an entry on Wikipedia that's pretty good.

Offshoots include Dieselpunk. Jon's putting together outfits that actually are more of the Dieselpunk look. More WWII than Victorian/Edwardian.

Basically, take Victorian/Edwardian fashions and throw in lots of gears, rust, patina & "post-apocalyptic" stuff like Mad Max, the movie version of Wild Wild West and you've got steampunk. Think if they had computers, cell-phones and other modern electronics back in the late 1800's-early 1900's and how they'd look.

Dieselpunk includes a lot of deco/20's-40's fashion, lots of military-type bits, etc.

bugger metropolis (anime) go rent the original film! i do highly recommend it as a good silent movie (not steam punk related but the cabinet of Dr Calagari is also worth viewing).

Abney Park's last Album is also highly recommended (or better still as their on your side of the pond, see them live if your in their patch)

Hmmm...yet another mix of old stuff with new stuff...who would have thought? :tongue:

Although, I must say, as obvious of a combination that you think this is, I'm surprised that to me it's very original and haven't seen much like it yet, and that it also grabs me quite a bit.

I guess I have a new style on my roster to play around with now :thumbsup:.