Who Here Is Single

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, you would think that would make it more difficult to stay single.

Depends on the caliber of man you attract.... (I have often noticed that the kind of person one is... and the kind of person one attracts can be VERY different.)

I'm single and content either way. Right now I'd rather be like a glacier; I don't feel like putting in the effort in breaking through someone's defenses. =|

Interesting way to put it. Especially the last part.

I am in a very new relationship with a lovely girl who also enjoys the goth lifestyle. Unfortunately, because she lives in Oklahoma, we aren't able to exchange much more than texts, phone calls, and emails.

Still, she is...dazzling.

Longish distance like say an hour is frustrating. LONG distance like that has got to be 10X.

Who Here Is Single

We are currently working on removing that problem. Ah yes my high school ex. :peanutbutterjellytime:

Hopefully that is continuing to work out?

Actually, you would think that would make it more difficult to stay single.

Seems fairly difficult to me. Not that I necessarily want to stay single, but I cant manage to poke my head out of the cave for more than a month without getting some kind of soon-to-be-ex relationship stuff. Not that that is bad, it just seems inevitable with some level of socializing, no?

I'll be single for life me thinks... despite my occasional wish otherwise its hard for me to see myself in a relationship.

Due to choice? "I prefer to be single" ?

• 2 weeks later...

To debunk a common misnomer: we are all single "by default". Take that as you will; If you are a person who has found another(s) to share their inner awesomeness with, keep on truckin and have at it. To those who remain single / are re-singled / cannot see themselves as anything but single, the pangs of loneliness will assault even the most stout-hearted. The fact that you feel such means you most likely have a soul (but since science is unable to systemically prove the existence of such, it might also means you are not a heart-less bastard/bastress).

Being single is not a disease that needs curing. It is a state, that many people take in their own stride; Mourn it, live it, compel it, question it, learn it. Whatever you choose to do with it, so long as it is not merely regressive motion.

I am in my natural state; I will keep my eyes open (except while dancing) and my ears tuned (except while dancing...clubs and hearing do NOT mix), I will continue to become more comfortable with who I am, and I will lend myself to situations uncomfortable to the casual recluse, so that if I choose to shed the guise of singledom, I may do it quite naturally and without expectation or narcotic goals.

Single people: be amazing

Not-so-Single people : be amazing

Aphids : BE DAMNED!!!!! *shudders*...APHIDS!!!!

Edited by Iris

To debunk a common misnomer: we are all single "by default". Take that as you will; If you are a person who has found another(s) to share their inner awesomeness with, keep on truckin and have at it. To those who remain single / are re-singled / cannot see themselves as anything but single, the pangs of loneliness will assault even the most stout-hearted. The fact that you feel such means you most likely have a soul (but since science is unable to systemically prove the existence of such, it might also means you are not a heart-less bastard/bastress).

Being single is not a disease that needs curing. It is a state, that many people take in their own stride; Mourn it, live it, compel it, question it, learn it. Whatever you choose to do with it, so long as it is not merely regressive motion.

I am in my natural state; I will keep my eyes open (except while dancing) and my ears tuned (except while dancing...clubs and hearing do NOT mix), I will continue to become more comfortable with who I am, and I will lend myself to situations uncomfortable to the casual recluse, so that if I choose to shed the guise of singledom, I may do it quite naturally and without expectation or narcotic goals.

Wow. Sweetness. *buys Iris a praying mantis who will both assume the requisite posture of obeisance in the face of such awesomeness AND reduce the aphid population in Iris' immediate vicinity*

Iris - I agree and applaud everything you said except your first sentence:

To debunk a common misnomer: we are all single "by default".

That is true from one viewpoint. But Plato had another viewpoint that we are a couple by default, and it's Zeus's fault for our singledom. Here it is summed up by Hedwig (and the Angry Inch):

When the earth was still flat, and the clouds made of fire

And mountains stretched up to the sky, sometimes higher

Folks roamed the earth like big rolling kegs

They had two sets of arms, two sets of legs

They had two faces peering out of one giant head

And they could watch all around them

And they talked while they read

And they never knew nothing of love

It was before the origin of love

Origin of love

And there were three sexes then

One that looked like two men glued back to back

Called the children of the sun

And similar in shape and girth were the children of the earth

They looked like two girls rolled up in one

And the children of the moon were like a fork shoved on a spoon

They were part sun, part earth, part daughter, part son

Origin of love

Now the gods grew quite scared of our strength and defiance

And Thor said:

"I'm gonna kill them all with my hammer

Like I killed the giants."

And Zeus said:

"No, you better let me use my lightning, like scissors

Like I cut the legs off whales

And dinosaurs into lizards."

Then he grabbed up some bolts

And he let out a laugh, said:

"I'll split them right down to the middle

Gonna rip them right in half."

And then storm clouds gathered above

Into great balls of fire

And the fire shot down

From the sky in bolts

Like shining blades of a knife

And it ripped right through the flesh

Of the children of the sun

And the moon, and the earth

And some Indian god

Sewed the wound up into a hole

Pulled it 'round to our belly

To remind us of the price we pay

And Osiris and the gods of the Nile

Gathered up a big storm

To blow a hurricane

To scatter us away

In a flood of wind and rain

And a sea of tidal waves

To wash us all away

And if we dont behave

They'll cut us down again

And well be hopping round on one foot

Looking through one eye

Last time I saw you

We had just split in two

You were looking at me, and I was looking at you

You had a way so familiar

But I could not recognize

'Cause you had blood on your face

And I had blood in my eyes

But I could swear by your expression

That the pain down in your soul

Was the same as the pain down in mine

That's the pain

Cuts a straight line down through the heart

We call it love

So we wrapped our arms around each other

Trying to shove ourselves back together

We were making love

It was a cold dark evening such a long time ago

When by the mighty hand of Jove

It was the sad story

How we became lonely two-legged creatures

It's the story of

The origin of love

That's the origin of love, origin of love, origin of love

(In spoiler code to save space)

Great post. I feel bad from time to time regarding my single status. I just attribute my current state to the fact that I lack the courage to express how I feel sometimes. I just can never muster the courage to say "hey, I like you".

Edited by KatRN05

Iris - I agree and applaud everything you said except your first sentence:

That is true from one viewpoint. But Plato had another viewpoint that we are a couple by default, and it's Zeus's fault for our singledom. Here it is summed up by Hedwig (and the Angry Inch):

Yes, so in a manner: we are cursed at birth. Like any "curse", I believe it is up the individual to take it in stride. And by that, I would say one has to acknowledge the state they are dealt; Acknowledge it to themselves comfortably enough that they could communicate it to others (if they so wished). From there, it is a decision how to let the curse affect you.

A spirit (living or passed) might exist in its own cycle. It may repeat it upon a predictable basis (haunt, if you will). Does this mean it necessarily seeks to ascend beyond this state? (it will be the set decision of that spirit).

It will be aware of that aspect missing and bemourned. It may live in neutral habit (seeking neither to progress nor transgress), and may continue on in contentment. It may become an utterly wretched and ghoulish atrocity, self deprecating and noxious to the point that it taints the very ground it treads. It may seek to quell itself by seeking to rend others that have (or are in the process of) mended the scars of separation. Would that be any better than the one who blindly nurses the wound with superficial relations discarded as bandages never changed?

A distinct "stinging" sensation is to be expected to any who choose to de-skin the tumultuous gash in our beings. And if that be your choice, grit your teeth and dig in (let not the pools of blood avert your gaze and let not the unsettling nausea halt the progresses made thusfar).

I perceive it may only get more challenging as the journey progresses. Never will it be easier, just more tolerable :/

But who cares about all that rubble: what about the APHIDS!!! As a lover of all things vegetable, I detest those beings that would seek to starve me from crunchy nutrition. Release the mantis'!

• 2 weeks later...