If You Could Have One Thing Right Now

Homicidalheathen

10 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

But as far as nights go, if I could have one thing it would be a daily 24 hour goth hangout/coffeehouse/clubhouse/nightclub/restaurant thing.  People could just show up whenever and hang out/work on things.  There would be a DJ or canned music playing.  Back rooms for "stuff".

So anyway, step one is corrupting the youth getting them into the fashion and the music...

So fun fact, as far as a retail space goes, it's really easy to mix goth clothes in with historic clothing. And with the tulip fest and all of the living history tourists it makes SENSE to have a historic clothing store. 

A lot of goth brands also branch off into the ren fair crowd. (Shrine and dark in love swing that way ALL the time) 

And rockabilly and pin up attract straight laced women in their 70's who want to dress the way people on tv did when they were kids. 

PLUS you can get away with a TON if you host and sell small local artists goods. Even in a tiny tiny small town. 

I worked in an art gallery called Button Up and they were considered a town staple and a wholesome place even though it was owned by a democrat and the democrat owned coffee shop kept getting vandalized. 

Because everyone thought it was good for the community. 

And then if the retail space doubles as a club space after hours you host like things that aren't just dance parties, and then very few people will think you are sacrificing goats or luring children. 

Step one is building a bit of a brand for myself. That's taking money and time. 

Step two is figuring out MI zoning and how much I can get away with. 

Step three, finding a temporary venue. And hosting a night that isn't in freaking Kalamazoo. 

Step five ..... Yeah no clue. Rubber hits the road here XD but I do want to get a slurpie machine...

26 minutes ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

So fun fact, as far as a retail space goes, it's really easy to mix goth clothes in with historic clothing. And with the tulip fest and all of the living history tourists it makes SENSE to have a historic clothing store. 

A lot of goth brands also branch off into the ren fair crowd. (Shrine and dark in love swing that way ALL the time) 

And rockabilly and pin up attract straight laced women in their 70's who want to dress the way people on tv did when they were kids. 

PLUS you can get away with a TON if you host and sell small local artists goods. Even in a tiny tiny small town. 

I worked in an art gallery called Button Up and they were considered a town staple and a wholesome place even though it was owned by a democrat and the democrat owned coffee shop kept getting vandalized. 

Because everyone thought it was good for the community. 

And then if the retail space doubles as a club space after hours you host like things that aren't just dance parties, and then very few people will think you are sacrificing goats or luring children. 

Step one is building a bit of a brand for myself. That's taking money and time. 

Step two is figuring out MI zoning and how much I can get away with. 

Step three, finding a temporary venue. And hosting a night that isn't in freaking Kalamazoo. 

Step five ..... Yeah no clue. Rubber hits the road here XD but I do want to get a slurpie machine...

I've always hated the idea of retail + venue.  I've seen it, I just don't like it.  So much shit already gets stolen if you're not watching it.

I like the idea of an adjacent venue though.  Maybe a restaurant/bar that has a stage and then move the tables for a dance floor.  Kind of like the one from Hellraiser 3.

That's what Northern Lights Lounge does (or did when I was there.) Stage has a railing that comes up and they put all that in the back storage and bring it out again at the end of the night, every night.  It was kind of a pain in the ass but sometimes I'd help out since most of the staff was cool as hell.  I still miss Lockwood and Kegger.

Anyway, I've had ideas for years.  The problem has always been a lack of motivation, and also money.

1 hour ago, Scary Guy said:

I've always hated the idea of retail + venue.  I've seen it, I just don't like it.  So much shit already gets stolen if you're not watching it.

I like the idea of an adjacent venue though.  Maybe a restaurant/bar that has a stage and then move the tables for a dance floor.  Kind of like the one from Hellraiser 3.

That's what Northern Lights Lounge does (or did when I was there.) Stage has a railing that comes up and they put all that in the back storage and bring it out again at the end of the night, every night.  It was kind of a pain in the ass but sometimes I'd help out since most of the staff was cool as hell.  I still miss Lockwood and Kegger.

Anyway, I've had ideas for years.  The problem has always been a lack of motivation, and also money.

The only problem with a restaurant/bar is that I don't know jack shit about running one of those XD 

But alt retail? I've got a shit ton of connections. And MI would be a new market for some of them. 

But a bar would feel more natural. 

4 hours ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

The only problem with a restaurant/bar is that I don't know jack shit about running one of those XD 

But alt retail? I've got a shit ton of connections. And MI would be a new market for some of them. 

But a bar would feel more natural. 

Any idiot can overcharge people for food, underpay wait staff, and rake in profits.  To run it properly though takes talent.  They're practically a license to print money if you're in a good area with high foot traffic.  If you can have a gimmick/theme (which I have a few ideas for) then that can get you pretty far.  Like Tony's which was famous for giving A LOT of food.  I haven't eaten there in forever but I remember there being a line.  I don't even know how I managed to eat all that but I guess I was a hungry kid.  I heard the real story is they either lost power or has the freezer die, so they didn't want to waste the food.  One of these days I'll get back up that way and try it again.

Either that or just open a bar right next to an IHOP.  Then just allow people to order/bring in food.  Less to worry about, though you still need a food license for the lemons, limes, cherries, ice, etc...  If you really want to know more you can learn a lot by just reading the LCC's documented policies.  I did that years ago for Mephisto's when I was helping out there.

Or again, open the bar next to the retail shop.  Bonus, get @et-novum to run the bar and make it a cyber cafe.  Call it the "Smart Pub" or something to dunk on those Mac assholes at the "Genius" bar.

I remember also going to a cyber cafe around here years ago with a friend of mine for an after hours party that was upstairs.  There was a DJ playing techno, bartender, and you could buy whippets from a booth.  I was eating it up because it felt pretty cyberpunk being upstairs from the cafe, and it was also the early 00s so the music didn't suck yet.

6 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Any idiot can overcharge people for food, underpay wait staff, and rake in profits.  To run it properly though takes talent.  They're practically a license to print money if you're in a good area with high foot traffic.   

My dad was an accountant and I've firsthand witnessed some horror stories as far as restaurants go. I don't think I have the grit to work people that hard and pay them that little. 

But a cyber bar would be sick. Absolutely sick. I loved the cyber goth aesthetic but when you try to pull that off as a kid with no budget or skills it just looks bad XD 

I tried to talk my dad's boss into giving me a bunch of cables they had so I could braid them into my hair. 

They didn't have my vision XD 

1 minute ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

My dad was an accountant and I've firsthand witnessed some horror stories as far as restaurants go. I don't think I have the grit to work people that hard and pay them that little. 

But a cyber bar would be sick. Absolutely sick. I loved the cyber goth aesthetic but when you try to pull that off as a kid with no budget or skills it just looks bad XD 

I tried to talk my dad's boss into giving me a bunch of cables they had so I could braid them into my hair. 

They didn't have my vision XD 

How many cables do you need, and what type?

For example, I have a drawer FULL of IEC C13 power cables (and a couple C13-E too.)  In fact there is a pile of cables I don't even want that I've just been too lazy to throw into the recycle bin because "I might need this someday" which to be fair I sometimes do.

I really want to put a powerCON into my computer setup because that's just neat but also completely unnecessary.

9 hours ago, gwen said:

why was this thread reawakened.

let it die. lol.

DIIIEEEE!!!

cant find the wordle thread

heres my wordle

joke

zhr88k48yht71.png

Threads here often take on a life of their own.  Just how it is usually.

Edited by Scary Guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

No filter... I'm having an incredible itch to get a job that pays a high hourly wage due to shitty hours. I want to do this for 60 hours a week. It's a reason why I was getting fed up with my last job, they started cutting everyone's hours. But due to being a dad, this isn't possible... So...

I want a stay at home onlyfans girlfriend. And not for pervert reasons.

Let her take the kids to daycare while I sleep, I pick them up, spend time with them, and go off to work once I put them to bed. And she can make money while I'm at work and kid's asleep by fingering her butthole.

We stack cash, throw it in the market, retire in 3 years, go out separate ways. But I want to stack some serious money that isn't available doing 9-5 jobs.