Anime Peoples, I Am Calling You Out

Najica Blitz Tactics

I got the special edition boxed set when it came out which included the Najica panties. lol

Meg, you get like 800 bonus points for mentioning Lain. Everytime I ask some anime fan about it they're like "Serial Experiments...who?" SO, it's awesome that someone on here has not only seen it but also gets it. 'Cause alot of people plain just don't get it, straight out. Hmmm so for me now it falls down probably to either FLCL or Lain.

I love Lain and also get it. Brilliant series. FLCL on the other hand, I just don't get that one. I don't not like it, I just didn't get it. Maybe I'll have to watch it again sometime in (blasphemy) English.

I would actually like to take this oppurtunity to suggest Gankustsuo to anyone who has not already seen it. (Especially FarrIL who has such a keen asthetic sense might really appreciate it.)

Yes, the artwork is beautiful. Throughout the entire first episode I was trying to figure out if I liked the style or not but eventually I decided I did. I don't think that would work on many anime but for that show it was a great choice.

oh, just remembered

excell saga

pumi pumi poemi

WOOT! I love those. Excel Saga was the series that got me into anime in the first place so there will always be a special place in my heart for it. I saw Puni Puni Poemi as a fansub and was so excited when it was released domestically though sadly I still have yet to pick it up.

Roughly i'd say 75% of everyone i know on DGN is at least somewhat into anime. Probably more on DGN are into anime than could identify "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove"

Ah ... old school Dead Can Dance. Great tune by a great band.

I love Chobits.

Why. . . hmmm. . .

Action, drama, romance, comedy, pretty people. . .

Absolutely adorable. Loved it.

Let's see ... if I had to pick just one anime, I'd go with Noir. The characters are strong, the story line is solid, the artwork and setting are beautiful, and the music is phenomenal (award winning music from the award winning Kajiura Yuki). Everything about it is just overall fantastic. And it's also one of the series that got me into anime in the first place (along with Excel Saga as mentioned above) so it too will always have a special place in my heart.

Some others: Love Hina; .hack//SIGN; Rurouni Kenshin; I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs; Fruits Basket; Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances); DigiCharat; Van Helsing; Martian Successor Nadesico; Tsukikage Ran; Mahoromatic; Kanon; Gate Keepers; Ah! My Goddess; Gravion and Gravion Zwei (for different reasons); Full Metal Panic Fumofu

Edited by Spook

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh crap!! I posted in here last night and I realized that my freaking internet was acting up and i lost everything i typed..

My love started with Robotech when it was aired on PBS after school when I was a kid..and at first i fell in love with Rick Hunter and Max Sterling (had to have been the blue hair).. then i got larger hunger for it.. and went onto bubble gum crash and bubble gun crisis.. then akira.. and then so on and so forth.

My favorite series would be SE:Lain.. OMG! what a mind fuck.. I loved Perfect Blue.. another mind fuck.. Tenchi in Tokyo.. or the whole series for that matter.. I love the studio Gibli movies..(princess mononoke, hal's moving castle..spirited away).. i love the really seedy ones like Legends of the Overfiend.. (I mean who wouldn't like a nazi tentacled fuck machine??) Chobits is adorable.. hehe so is Ranma 1/2 (slightly strange).. Vampyre Hunter D.. shit there's so many that I can't even begin to list off all of them.. I have to somewhat respect the Dragonball Z series..because the characters are loosly based off "the monkey"..

umm.. that's it for now.. I'll think of more that i can list off, and I will. :) This post made me look up in the closet to pull out a lot of the movies I took from my brother.. does anyone have a VHS?? :(

Back in the mid 90s, my kids got me into Sailor Moon & then about six or seven years ago my son got me into the Tenchi Muio(sorry about the bad spelling) series. There also used to be one called "Hamtaro" on Cartoon Network that was pretty good.

Man...

Your kids rock. I remeber Tenchi Muyo, from Toonami, they never had it on Adult Swim. I forgot all about that show. Hamtaro rocks so hard, anyone who argues otherwise simply does not know good cuteness.

LITTLE HAMSTERS BIG ADVENTURES!

Oh and as for Sailor Moon. That's where the whole thing started with me. As a matter of fact, I'm getting a tattoo on my lower back of the Sailor Saturn/Mistress 9 symbol (a black star with the purple saturn symbol in the middle). SO that's how much of my anime-dorkocity shows :tongue: Sailor Saturn is still my favorite hero and Mistress 9 is still my favorite super-villian. So convenient they share the same body, right?

Edited by Chernobyl

I can't pick just one. Robotech introduced to anime. From there it was Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha (thanks to my niece). Outlaw Star, GITS, FMA, The Guyver and Tekkaman Blade. Plus others I like that a friend and his brother like to bring by, Hand Made Maid and Ah My Goddess to name a couple.

Oh and as for Sailor Moon. That's where the whole thing started with me. As a matter of fact, I'm getting a tattoo on my lower back of the Sailor Saturn/Mistress 9 symbol (a black star with the purple saturn symbol in the middle). SO that's how much of my anime-dorkocity shows :tongue: Sailor Saturn is still my favorite hero and Mistress 9 is still my favorite super-villian. So convenient they share the same body, right?

That'll be one bad-ass tattoo!

I want an anime tattoo!! XD

#1 would have to be Samurai Champloo. Close behind are FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun.

Haven't watched much in recent months since I don't have cable anymore (well, I have the 20 channel "sub basic" but only 'cos my 'net hookup is $5 cheaper with it). Caught a couple episodes of Paranoia Agent and yeah, that looks like something that has to be watched in sequence. Saw the first episode of Afro Samurai & loved it (except for the stereotypical buffoon sidekick). Also really want to check out Gankutsuou. Love the Bleach manga, but have only seen the 1st anime episode... will have to see more to reach a verdict on that one. Same situation with Saiyuki (which BTW is a much truer retelling of the "Journey to the West" story than Dragonball Z).

fHaven't seen many full length films but Wicked City is a favorite. Mononoke Hime is excellent, too.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite anime of all time: The Ghost In The Shell movies. Awesome action, a futuristic setting that isn't boring, and deep philosophic dialogue between just about everyone.

Then for series:

1. Gungrave

2. Cowboy Bebop (Vicious is my fav character.)

3. Gantz

4. Hellsing

5. Trigun (Legato Bluesummers is my fav character.)

I would throw Kenshin in but there's so much left I haven't finished. Then with Soul Taker the last episode didn't play right and with .Hack//Sign someone took my friend's last disc which really pisses me off. =(

I -LOOOOOOVE- Gantz... It's just so bad ass. It's very much like the games I run, with lots of weirdness. Player Characters typically have LOTS of powers, but have to figure them out, and how to use them before the monsters eat them.

I love it.

I read somewhere it was something like, once you earn 100 pts you could resurrect someone, get a super weapon (like the sword or bike), or permanently go back to the real world. I'm not sure if it's true, it might be somewhere in the comics.

Man...

Your kids rock. I remeber Tenchi Muyo, from Toonami, they never had it on Adult Swim. I forgot all about that show. Hamtaro rocks so hard, anyone who argues otherwise simply does not know good cuteness.

LITTLE HAMSTERS BIG ADVENTURES!

That ought to be an awesome tatoo :thumbsup:. :peanutbutterjellytime:

My son who's 19 now is a BIG TIME Cowboy Bebop fan. He's even got the movie on DVD. I remember in the late 60s watching Kimba the White Lion & Speed Racer. Loved those two when I was a lot younger. :thumbsup::biggrin:

I found volume 14 of Lone Wolf & Cub the other day... bought it a while back & forgot I had it. Quite a treat 'cos I've been too poor to indulge my manga lust... thank all the gods I have a subscription to Shonen Jump!

My son who's 19 now is a BIG TIME Cowboy Bebop fan. He's even got the movie on DVD. I remember in the late 60s watching Kimba the White Lion & Speed Racer. Loved those two when I was a lot younger. :thumbsup::biggrin:

Haha my brother & I used to watch Kimba back then... and kibitz endlessly about the unnaturalness of predators farming veggies alongside of herbivores. At ages 7 & 9, mind you... we'd be "but it's right for lions to kill animals and eat them! That's the way God planned it! They shouldn't have to eat vegetables!" We really found the whole concept deeply disturbing... the creepiness of a leonine Peter Pan keeping his dead dad's pelt in a cave and talking to it all the time paled in comparison.

OK, here's a Kimba question for you: What was the name of the evil huntress character who bore a striking resemblance to Roger Ranger's lost love? For that matter what was the lost love's name?

• 4 years later...

I'm more of a fan of manga than anime. But of the ones I like are Cowboy Bebop, Samurai 7, Gunsmith Cats, Knights, Detective Conan, Casshern Sins, New Dominion Tank Police, Bubblegun Crisis, Chrono Crusade, E's Otherwise, D.N Angel, Blaster Knuckle, Black Lagoon, M.D Geist, Shadow Skill, Birdy The Mighty, 3x3 Eyes, Veritas, Ranma 1/2 and loads more.

I haven't seen Kimba The White Lion yet tho. I want to watch it and contrast and compare to Disney's ripoff.

• 6 months later...

I haven't seen Kimba The White Lion yet tho. I want to watch it and contrast and compare to Disney's ripoff.

I missed this when it was first posted. Not that it is earth shattering or anything but its an interesting irony. Since the distinct look/feel of anime/manga due in large part to Disney's very strong influence on japans anime/manga.

In particular the anime style was pioneered by Osamu Tezuka(sp?) who created Astroboy and Kimba the White Lion specifically stated he was inspired by the art of Walt Disney who in turn (Tezuka) inspirited generations of artists.

• 1 month later...

I'd list all the anime I like but I'd have an entire page to myself. I've reduced the list to Vampire Knight, the original G Force, FLCL, Eureka 7, Evangelion, Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (japanese version), and Heat Guy J.

The interesting thing is Chernobyl set the limit at one anime...your most favorite one and why. But even she couldn't choose just one... :hrhr:

• 1 year later...