• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merge - Lost in eternity

This song has blips, squelchies, and it almost sounds like it's skipping bits here and there.

I have super dooper fast cable speedy modem... Most songs sound amazing, so I notice when they don't.

And I'm with Paper Hearts... we definately need some Smiths on here.

For the record... Morrissey does not lead to enya. I shall remark no further on the foolishness of that statement. :tongue:

How do you set something like this up? I have been curious for sometime as to how this is done.

Rob

Very involved conversation that really could go on for weeks and is just to far outside the scope of this thread but you might start here: About Internet Radio

But really even once it is setup thats only 5% of the work. Just like 99% of the web, content with no viewers is fairly pointless. Getting listeners / viewers / users is the hardest part. Content is a dime a dozen, promotion is the hard part.

Merge - Lost in eternity

This song has blips, squelchies, and it almost sounds like it's skipping bits here and there.

I have super dooper fast cable speedy modem... Most songs sound amazing, so I notice when they don't.

I started over from scratch on that one. Just re-encoded it. =) At least for right now that one in particular sounds about as pristine as a 48k stream can sound.

Been trying to narrow down what is causing this occasional song screw up issue. Testing out various software packages to encode things and such.

Let me start off by saying, Troy, you are doing a kick ass job with the DGN radio and the DGN site as well. I've noticed a couple of things. When using real player, after a while it stops the feed, I have to restart it but don't have that problem with windows media player. The blippy thing is like when you burn a music CD and for some reason a song gets messed up so suddenly it makes some weird noises then continues playing. I have a couple of CD's that do that, I believe it's some sort of security encoding, don't know for sure, just a thought

Trying to track down a song playing on DGN radio. Unfortunately don't remember the title nor the band. Had it written down but lost it. All I remember is the following 1. Love is in the title, 2. beyond is I believe in the bands name, 3. It sounds kinda techno, 4. here is a woman singing(almost speaking) these lyrics...do you want me, do you need me, do you love me. Wish I could remember more. To me the song rocks, I love it.

Hope someone can help me with that song. DGN radio rocks, just need to learn how to do the links on myspace now.

What's up with all the Nick Cave songs? They get kinda blippy, but they're not synth-pop. =(

Right u r... Nick Cave is a million times cooler than any of this synthpop cookie-cutter aural wallpaper!

Marvelous job Troy... even if it is kind of synthpop cookie cutter etc. etc. heavy... I understand that's what you young whippersnappers like though (which is why I never dance at City) so it's all good, as long as there's the occasional Nick Cave-Sisters of Mercy-Skinny Puppy bone tossed to us crochety old geezers

Right u r... Nick Cave is a million times cooler than any of this synthpop cookie-cutter aural wallpaper!

Marvelous job Troy... even if it is kind of synthpop cookie cutter etc. etc. heavy... I understand that's what you young whippersnappers like though (which is why I never dance at City) so it's all good, as long as there's the occasional Nick Cave-Sisters of Mercy-Skinny Puppy bone tossed to us crochety old geezers

Actually its heavy on oldschool gutiar & drums stuff, or so im told. Probably more luck of the draw as to when your listening. As it would take a full 24 hours straight you to listen to the majority of whats on there, and even listening for 2 hours straight really wouldnt give you a good inidication of what all is on there.

I'm pretty well versed in the pre 90's stuff. Theres a ton on there. I do like "all kinds" though, and try very hard only to put the uber-good stuff up, and zero "filler". If i start thinking "...this song is good, but not really that good..." it gets deleted.

Kids... hehe. When i set foot in CC im probably one of the 10 oldest people in the joint. :cry

Bela Legosi's dead by Bauhaus did the weird noise thing. it was around 4:30 am. Just to let you know a time frame.

Wow , now thats ... shocking since i just got done making sure that one was 110% good to go when it left my system. I'll look into thought thanks for the heads up. (still formulating a response to your previous post, not ignoring it) =D

Let me start off by saying, Troy, you are doing a kick ass job with the DGN radio and the DGN site as well. I've noticed a couple of things. When using real player, after a while it stops the feed, I have to restart it but don't have that problem with windows media player. The blippy thing is like when you burn a music CD and for some reason a song gets messed up so suddenly it makes some weird noises then continues playing. I have a couple of CD's that do that, I believe it's some sort of security encoding, don't know for sure, just a thought

Yeah. Im pretty familair with ripping/encoding, bitrates/sampling. I am ANAL about the sound quality. I listen to these songs like 5 times and then filter them with various effects and such before i encode them. When they leave this computer they are >good to go

Trying to track down a song playing on DGN radio. Unfortunately don't remember the title nor the band. Had it written down but lost it. All I remember is the following 1. Love is in the title, 2. beyond is I believe in the bands name, 3. It sounds kinda techno, 4. here is a woman singing(almost speaking) these lyrics...do you want me, do you need me, do you love me. Wish I could remember more. To me the song rocks, I love it.

The song your referencing is:

Elektra by Ultraviolence

Myspace links..

See my post in the "link to us" thread and let me know in there if it makes sense. If not i can explain it more np.

Realplayer stops...

OUCH.. ill look into it.

Wooo! Let's go geek! Are all of the streams the same bitrate? I prefer my winamp due to ads and such, but since I primarily listen at work on the work computer I would be willing to use REAL if you're streaming a higher bitrate across it.

Right now there is just one stream at 48k so that it doesnt sound like ass.. but can accomidate the dial up users.

I've got it on the "possible" list to add more streams, but right now DGN is still not quite paying for itself, and with my current health situation i cant absorb the cost. Once we get more donations (which have been picking up a lot lately since he "groups" were added) ill start adding more things. I dont mind donating my time, but i just will be living in a cardboard box if i pay for DGN every month at my current non-existant income level. =D

Completely understandable, just a curiosity. Which reminds me, since I have neither paypal, checking account, credit card, or any other form of monetary transfer medium. How can cash manage to make it to your hands in order to support the cause?

Secondly, doesn't DGN technically qualify as a NPO? LoL

To be an NPO you have to jump through a lot of paperwork hoops, which i haven't looked into. But in terms of the donations, you could surely put the money given to DGN down as a "charitable donation".

In terms of the donations... you have NO bank account? If you have any sort of bank account you can setup a paypal account with it. Debit card... whatever. The only thing that paypal doesn't take is pure cash.

But bro if your that hard up, you probably should just keep your money. I don't mean that in a bad way, i just mean if you have no monetary resources i'm going to feel like an ass taking your money to support DGN.

The song your referencing is:

Elektra by Ultraviolence

That's not the title that I remember showing on real player. Real player shows song titles for me. I don't recognize that title as the one I wrote down.

See my post in the "link to us" thread and let me know in there if it makes sense. If not i can explain it more np.

I don't know where to put the link so it will show.

That's not the title that I remember showing on real player. Real player shows song titles for me. I don't recognize that title as the one I wrote down.

I don't know where to put the link so it will show.

Well thats the song. Has the exact lyrics in it that you posted and is a "technoish" sounding song and the lyircs referenced are sung by a female vocalist. I'll go look , maybe the MP3 tag is bad or something but i doubt it as when i looked it up i sorted by song title to make sure i had the right track and the title showed properly (indicating that the tags arent messed up)

Right... were to put it so the link will show which is what i meant by reading this post: (no 18)

http://www.detroitgothic.net/index.php?s=&...st&p=273216

Actually its heavy on oldschool gutiar & drums stuff, or so im told. Probably more luck of the draw as to when your listening. As it would take a full 24 hours straight you to listen to the majority of whats on there, and even listening for 2 hours straight really wouldnt give you a good inidication of what all is on there.

I'm pretty well versed in the pre 90's stuff. Theres a ton on there. I do like "all kinds" though, and try very hard only to put the uber-good stuff up, and zero "filler". If i start thinking "...this song is good, but not really that good..." it gets deleted.

Kids... hehe. When i set foot in CC im probably one of the 10 oldest people in the joint. :cry

You are right and I stand corrected & apologize... it was indeed luck of the draw. I listened for about 12 hours yesterday and the synthpop-heavy phase gave way to a most amazing journey through my misspent youth. Christ on a crutch, I can't remember the last time I heard "Cuts You Up". All the David Bowie stuff was a really groovy surprise, too. Excellent job, sweetie!

Oh and there was a really funny little song about "If I Only Were a Goth"... I didn't catch the title or artist but I loved it... please enlighten me!

& HH, cry some more 'cos I find the Cure intensely annoying and have never been able to understand what anyone sees in them. When I hear whats-his-name's smarmy whiny voice I have this sudden deep insight into why school bullies put people in lockers.

On my cable connection I have yet to hear any sound problems on any of the music except when I went to my backup dialup account. I think a lot of the sound problems are from dialup perhaps?

Dunno 'bout that... I have cable modem & I'm getting a shitload of the blippy glitchy stuff. Like little gremlins are fucking & fighting inside the speakers. But, my 'puter has been misbehaving in a lot of odd ways lately (need more ram for one thing) so I do think the issue is prolly at my end, but prolly not about the connect speed.

>Oh and there was a really funny little song about "If I Only Were a Goth"... I didn't catch the title or artist but I loved it... please enlighten me!>

If I only Were A Goth - Thou Shalt Not is the song. They have several gothyspoof type songs. There are a couple different ones on DGN radio. "The Vampire Club" i think is the funniest one. Pirates show up at the goth club and then a fight breaks out between the goths and the ravers , comedy ensues. "Wings Were pulled... tops hats were crushed.... so much drama Vlad and Akasha broke up..." (to paraphrase) lol

I actually didn't start out liking the cure in highschool. I didn't "hate" them either , it didn't have anything to do with the political side of it "omg he's weird" or "omg them crybabies'. I just thought they were sort of i dunno "plain" sounding.

Became an aquired taste, that i didn't actually get for a good 7-8 years. I like them now. Sometimes if we are diligent and to listen to crap we dont like long enough, you start liking it. Our brains are trained to like certain sounds, thus people like different stuff. Its not that what "we" like is good and what "They" like is bad.

Usually things that many people think is "good" is possible to like, just sort of have to train yourself. I could not STAND my dads frank sinatra crap. But after years of listening to it, i like it a lot now. Same goes for much of the things i like. I found out at some point that what i currently like has no "magic formula" about it, i like it due to my preconceived notions about what is good and bad. These opinions are editable, not set in stone.

Once i started operating on that level my interests broadened insanely. To the point now i think i have to many interests, its hard to focus heh.

On my cable connection I have yet to hear any sound problems on any of the music except when I went to my backup dialup account. I think a lot of the sound problems are from dialup perhaps?

Dunno 'bout that... I have cable modem & I'm getting a shitload of the blippy glitchy stuff. Like little gremlins are fucking & fighting inside the speakers. But, my 'puter has been misbehaving in a lot of odd ways lately (need more ram for one thing) so I do think the issue is prolly at my end, but prolly not about the connect speed.

Im pretty sure , still that some of it is internet related but that there still are some problems with specific files.

I listen to this thing a ton, and when a song comes through fine one time and then the next time has squelcy sounds.. thats the internet.

But, there are some songs that seem to just not be working right. I've been able to "fix" some of them. But others are elusive. I'll figure it out eventually, this is one of the "must get fixed" problems.

Ok well i been working on it since i made that last post.. Had to delete everything and start over from scratch... :drool

But , i think i got the squelchy sounds fixed. Omg /faint. Let me know if you hear any error-ish sounding tracks (and the name of them)

But i've been demoing it for like 2 hours straight and havent heard any. Maybe now i can get back to optimizing and adding new stuff lol. *goes off to pass out from lack of sleep* :laugh:

If I only Were A Goth - Thou Shalt Not is the song. They have several gothyspoof type songs. There are a couple different ones on DGN radio. "The Vampire Club" i think is the funniest one. Pirates show up at the goth club and then a fight breaks out between the goths and the ravers , comedy ensues. "Wings Were pulled... tops hats were crushed.... so much drama Vlad and Akasha broke up..." (to paraphrase) lol

I actually didn't start out liking the cure in highschool. I didn't "hate" them either , it didn't have anything to do with the political side of it "omg he's weird" or "omg them crybabies'. I just thought they were sort of i dunno "plain" sounding.

Became an aquired taste, that i didn't actually get for a good 7-8 years. I like them now. Sometimes if we are diligent and to listen to crap we dont like long enough, you start liking it. Our brains are trained to like certain sounds, thus people like different stuff. Its not that what "we" like is good and what "They" like is bad.

Usually things that many people think is "good" is possible to like, just sort of have to train yourself. I could not STAND my dads frank sinatra crap. But after years of listening to it, i like it a lot now. Same goes for much of the things i like. I found out at some point that what i currently like has no "magic formula" about it, i like it due to my preconceived notions about what is good and bad. These opinions are editable, not set in stone.

Once i started operating on that level my interests broadened insanely. To the point now i think i have to many interests, its hard to focus heh.

Thanks for the song info... I love spoof-y stuff, being able to laugh at oneself is a sign of true wisdom. I never trust anyone who takes themself too seriously.

Ya know what u mean about acquired musical tastes... I always hated blues when I was young, just made me think of poor folks down south sitting on their shacky front porch waiting for the nightriders to come burn the whole place down. Then I grew up & did some actual hard living and... I got it. That said, I STILL don't like the Cure... but I'm not gonna go around saying "they suck and anyone who likes them is an asshole". Errone doesn't have to like everything I do. As the saying goes, if we all liked the same things there would be a terrible chitlin shortage.

"Too many interests", I feel u bro... I'm in this crazy dilletante space where I have a million little things going but never actually FINISH anything or go into any depth. I truly think I've developed this ADHD attentional pattern from spending so much time around my students. Gonna have to acquire some focus/discipline somehow.

And... you are doing a marvelous job sweetie... all your hard work is deeply appreciated!